RN/SANE-SART PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Average Hours per Week:
Leadership position coordinating the daily operations for our local SART program. Collaborating with external support agencies and area law enforcement to provide specialty care of the sexual assault victim. The coordinator will work flexible hours during the week and be one of several SANE nurses who cover a call rotation to ensure that we have 24/7 availability. The SANE/SART coordinator position is combined with some staff hours in the emergency department to provide for a full-time position control.
Position coordinates the daily operations of the program including but not limited to: SANE scheduling, orientation, case review, peer review, court preparation and testimony, communication with law enforcement, the advocate agency and external support agencies associated with the care of the sexual assault victim. Provides patient care in acute, scheduled, forensic, and post-mortem examinations, and assists with patient follow-up as needed.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
• Demonstrate the ability to assess and evaluate data including:
o Patient assessment to determine if medical evaluation is needed before starting the medical/forensic examination process;
o Comprehensive patient history, physical assessment, detailed genital examination, forensic evidence collection and documentation.
o Response to medical and nursing care/treatment;
o Behavioral, developmental, cultural, spiritual, age appropriate needs;
o Promote advocacy, protection and support for patient rights and decision making, and the establishment of a climate for healing and recovery;
• Maintain evidence under chain of custody.
• Collaborate with Emergency Department staff and physicians, other Via Christi departments, and multidisciplinary teams on patient care related issues.
• Maintain collaborative relationships with other area hospitals, law enforcement agencies, and social service agencies.
• Assist in maintenance of examination supplies.
• Coordinate peer review process.
• Assist in the coordination of case review.
• Coordinate court preparation and testimony, assist in the preparation of SANE’s for testimony.
• Maintain individual time and attendance records for grant required reports.
• Ensure individual goals and objectives outlined in the grant funding are being met.
• Supports the management team in establishing and implementing goals of the program, staff meetings, performing unit related tasks as requested and by increasing awareness of one’s own responsibility to help contain costs.
• Support effective communication through utilizing systems that enable opportunities for input regarding patient care issues, staffing needs, and community service needs.
• Support a work environment that is highly supportive of a professional practice for current and new staff members.
• Commit to holiday coverage, and other scheduling requirements as determined by the SANE program.
• Responsible for participation in ongoing program development by:
o Attendance at multidisciplinary team meetings.
o Attendance at monthly grand rounds meetings (75% attendance per year)
o Attend/present in-services, educational updates, seminars, etc.
o Maintain professional memberships.
• May perform other duties as assigned or requested
Via Christi is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Education and/or Experience
• BSN preferred, ADN required from an accredited college or university.
• Minimum of 2 years relevant clinical experience.
• Approved 40 hour SANE/SART course completion with documented clinical preceptorship.
• Approved Pediatric Sexual Abuse course or obtain within 12 months from date of hire.
• Attendance of approved death investigations course, or willingness to complete.
• A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Via Christi Health.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Current RN license in Kansas.
• SANE-A and SANE-P certification, or will complete within 2 year of employment. TNCC preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Via Christi Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.