**Applicants may apply to one (1) fellowship opportunity only so please read each listing carefully before submitting your application. Should you apply for multiple Institute Summer Research Fellow listings, the first division you apply for will be the one for which you are considered.**
***This program is only open to Undergraduate students who are actively enrolled in a degree granting Institution, OR who will receive their degree in 2013 and are continuing on to a graduate program in the Fall (for example, Masters, Veterinary, PhD).***
Deadline to apply: Thursday, February 28th, 2013
Applications must be submitted online by 9:30pm Pacific Standard Time.
Summer Fellowships are supported by a stipend and Summer Fellows are not employees of ZSSD. Applicants must have unrestricted authorization to work in the U.S.; ZSSD will not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the U.S.
CONSERVATION EDUCATION: Education and outreach form the essential cornerstones of any successful conservation endeavor. At the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research, the Beckman Center houses the only dedicated conservation education lab in the world.
Summer Fellows must be available for 12 consecutive weeks. The two options currently available are:
May 20th through August 9th, 2013
**Note - If selected for this session, you will be required to be available the Sunday prior to your start date (May 19th) to check in with HR, sign paperwork and get an ID card and name tag.
June 17th through September 6th, 2013
Pay Rate- These opportunities are paid via stipend. You are required to work 480 hours during your Fellowship. Your stipend will be $5,520. You will receive the first half of your stipend at the end of the 2nd week of Fellowship. You will receive the second half during the sixth week of your Fellowship.San Diego Zoo Global agrees that it will report to federal, state and local government agencies, as required by law, that it has paid Summer Fellow a stipend to offset student intern expenses. Summer Fellow understands that the Zoo will not withhold income taxes from the stipend paid. Summer Fellow understands that he/she will be responsible for paying 100% of all applicable income taxes. Summer Fellow will received a 1099 form at the end of 2013 for their tax reporting purposes.
Availability - Must be available Monday - Friday, for approximately 40 hours per week. Some weekends and holidays may be required.
Transportation- It is strongly recommended that all Summer Fellows have a personal form of transportation while they are here. Access via public transportation is extremely limited and takes approximately 1 ½ hours to go 5 miles (from housing in Escondido to the Institute). There is no public transportation on the weekends.
The MISSION of San Diego Zoo Institute For Conservation Research isthat “we generate, share, and apply scientific knowledge vital to the conservation of animals, plants, and habitats. We help shape the vision of the San Diego Zoo Global and lead in fulfilling its conservation mission."
Expectations for Summer Fellows include participation in orientation, attendance at specific events, completion of a learning checklist which includes information specific to the business of San Diego Zoo Global, as well as a presentation of the final research project. We strive to give a well-rounded experience during this Fellowship. This summer experience will not be limited to the research/conservation aspect of our organization, but will help you to gain additional insight and appreciation for the Educational and Recreational components as well.
Required attendance includes:
* San Diego Zoo Global orientation as well as specific Institute orientation. This will take place during the first two days of the Summer Fellowship.
* Roar Stronger - This is a class aimed at empowering our staff to become more well-rounded, well versed and motivated within our organization, both at work and at home. Topic – TBD
* Executive update - Meeting that discusses long-term or short - term strategy or operational issues of our organization. Attendance will be with your assigned mentor.
* Seminar Series - These are offered weekly throughout the Summer and include a variety of topics based on staff research.
* Completion of learning checklist
* Presentation of research project
* When applying on-line, please include with your resume a letter of intent. Please note that the letter of intent should be copy-and-pasted in the same area as the copy-and-pasted resume.
* One (1) letter of recommendation is required and shall be sent directly to the Institute for Conservation Research, ATTN: Katika Bade, 15600 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido CA 92027-7000, or emailed to email@example.com. Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Katika directly at 760-291-5475.
For additional information, please visit the following link:
PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
**San Diego Zoo Global**