The contents you are looking for have moved. You will be redirected to the new location automatically in 3 seconds. Please bookmark the correct page at
MGM Grand Detroit Header
MGM Grand Detroit Buildings
SOUS CHEF PASTRY
High school diploma or equivalent
Food and Beverage
Regular Full Time
It is the responsibility of the Sous Chef, Pastry toassist in all aspects of pastry preparation and presentation and develop and maintain the highest of standards and quality of pastry station while providing excellent guest service. All duties are to be performed in accordance with federal, state, local laws, regulations, and ordinances, as well as department and Company policies, practices, and procedures, within the framework and intent of the MGM Grand Detroit Mission Statement.
1. Supervises the Pastry team to include efficient staffing, employee development and training, performance management and policy enforcement.
2. Provides a quality product that is timely, fresh, and meets quantity needs of banquets and restaurants.
3. Coordinates production of all baked goods and dessert items ordered by outlets.
4. Completes any special requests ordered by outlets or other departments.
5. Ensures proper and consistent production of all food products at all times.
6. Maintains clean and sanitary food preparation and storage areas at all times in accordance with state and local sanitation requirements and codes.
7. Contributes to the preparation of the restaurant’s annual financial plan.
8. Develops strategies for increasing sales and profitability within management scope.
9. Monitors marketing trends and makes menu decisions accordingly.
10.Coordinates all the bakery needs for all catering events including the plating at all functions.
11.Prepares the weekly kitchen work schedules.
12.Provides for the timely repair, maintenance, and upkeep of all kitchen equipment and/or mechanical systems.
13.Maintains appropriate par levels.
14.Assists in developing and implementing new kitchen policies as required.
15.Checks on work in progress and assures final products meet company standards.
16.Promotes and maintains the highest level of customer service to all guests while staying alert to their needs.
17. Responds effectively to guest inquiries related to MGM Grand Detroit and the downtown Detroit area providing excellent guest service.
18.Resolves guest complaints within scope of authority; otherwise refers the matter to management. Notifies supervisor and/or Security of all unusual events, circumstances, missing items, or alleged theft.
19.Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. 21 years of age or older.
2. High school diploma or equivalent. Culinary arts certificate and/or degree from an accredited program with an emphasis in pastry techniques preferred.
3. Two years pastry management experience in a high volume restaurant or banquet establishment of which one year is in a three-diamond (AAA Rating) or above rated establishment.
4. Experience with artisan dessert production.
5. Experience in multi-tasking of projects and project management.
6. Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office to include Word and Excel.
7. Excellent guest service and hospitality skills.
8. Strong analytical and listening skills.
9. Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
10.Bilingual abilities preferred.
11.Ability to handle and maintain confidential information.
12.Ability to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds at a time.
13.Ability to push and pull heavy items and equipment.
14.Ability to perform various activities such as constant standing, walking, frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, and squatting.
15.Ability to function and act independently.
16.Ability to work well with people, in a team environment, and to communicate effectively both written & oral.
17.Ability to function in a fast paced environment, under short time constraints, and within established deadlines.
18.Ability to work a flexible schedule including extended hours, weekends, and holidays.
19.Obtain/maintain a food handler’s Certification.
For Assistance during the application process please contact the Employment Center at (313) 465-1199.
©2018 Findly, All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Findly