The contents you are looking for have moved. You will be redirected to the new location automatically in 3 seconds. Please bookmark the correct page at
MGM Grand Detroit Header
MGM Grand Detroit Buildings
WINE STEWARD TD
Food and Beverage
Regular Full Time
It is the responsibility of the Wine Steward to manage and oversee all aspects of the wine and spirit program for MGM Grand Detroit’s fine dining restaurants, to include but not limited to beverage selection, inventory, wine tastings, team member training and development, guest service, quality controls, etc, while providing excellent guest service. All duties are to be performed in accordance with federal, state, local laws, regulations, and ordinances, as well as department and Company policies, practices, and procedures, within the framework and intent of the MGM Detroit Grand Mission Statement.
1. Works closely with the Food and Beverage Controller in regards to inventory taking, cost control, loading, ordering and storing of wines. Follows proper accounting procedures, requisitions, transfers and reconciliation of daily wine sales.
2. Trains all the bar staff to include - but is not limited to - wine knowledge, spirits knowledge, product knowledge, selling techniques, pouring styles, correct wine service, customer service and the art of up selling. Develops and implements training programs.
3. Works closely with Culinary team on wine and food pairing dinners and special events.
4. Carries out spirits & wine tastings.
5. Develops and recommends merchandising and promotional programs to maximize Wine Sales and Service objectives.
6. Identifies market needs and trends, creates concepts and communicates these to the Beverage Manager. Monitors product movement and special offers. Plans and implements an effective sales plan and promotional activities in each wine outlet.
Develops strong relationship/partnership with purveyors.
7. Executes the corporate plan to exceed Beverage Dept. sales and profit numbers.
8. Promotes and maintains the highest level of customer service to all guests while staying alert to their needs.
9. Responds effectively to guest inquiries related to MGM Grand Detroit and the downtown Detroit area providing excellent guest service.
10. Resolves guest complaints within scope of authority; otherwise refers the matter to management. Notifies supervisor and/or Security of all unusual events, circumstances, missing items, or alleged theft.
11.Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. 21 years of age or older.
2. High School Diploma or equivalent. Sommelier certification preferred.
3. Two years experience as a sommelier/wine steward, with a focus on 4/5-star hotels, restaurants or high-volume service facilities.
4. Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, Access and Power Point and Microsoft Project. Proficiency testing will be required.
5. Excellent guest service and hospitality skills.
6. Strong problem solving and listening skills.
7. Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
8. The ability to describe wine and beverage products in a way that is convincing, pleasant and attractive.
Ability to handle and maintain confidential information.
9. Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds at a time.
10. Ability to push and pull heavy items and equipment.
11. Ability to perform various activities such as constant standing, walking, frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, and squatting.
12. Ability to work in an environment where pipe, cigar, and cigarette smoking is permitted.
13. Ability to multi-task several activities and duties simultaneously
14. Ability to function and act independently.
15. Ability to work well with people, in a team environment, and to communicate effectively both written & oral.
16. Ability to function in a fast paced environment, under short time constraints, and within established deadlines.
17. Ability to work a flexible schedule including extended hours, weekends, and holidays.
18. Obtain/maintain alcohol awareness certification and food handler’s permit.
For Assistance during the application process please contact the Employment Center at (313) 465-1199.
©2016 Findly, All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Findly