Certified Nurse Assistant
Department: 6800-WOMENS HOSPITAL POST OP
Location: Women's Hospital at Renaissance
Type of Position: Full-Time
Shift: 7:00 a.m - 7:00 p.m
Assist clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a registered nurse.
1. Primary Functions
- Restocking of linen
- Actively participates directly with patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment
- Responds to patients needs in a timely manner.
- Transports patients as needed.
- Welcome patients and assists in the admission process.
- Performs/Assists with positioning patients and transferring patients from bed to chair or wheelchair or stretcher.
- Cleaning of stretchers and assembling bed for next patient.
2. Technical Activities
- Observes intravenous lines for adequacy of fluids and operations and reports any non-functioning line as observed with visual inspection.
- Performs oral suction with yankauer.
- Establishes patient setup/connection tasks including NIBP, SaO2, and EKG.
- Applies icepacks.
- Performs 12 lead ECG.
- Performs vital signs using a variety of equipment
- Performs shave preps on patients.
- Obtains weights and basic patient information on new admissions.
- Provides clerical duties as needed.
- Performs blood glucose monitoring.
- Maintains appropriate stock levels of supplies and forms in the pre and post op area.
- Maintains a neat, organized work area in pre/post op area.
- Assembles patient chart prior to admission with appropriate labeling of all chart forms.
- Maintains organization of charts to facilitate location of data and placement forms.
- Posts labs on chart
- Assembles Medical Record for Medical Records Department when patient is discharged.
- Prepares chart packets for O.R., pain management, and MIBB/ABBI cases.
3. Staff/Unit Responsibilities
-Uses resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
-Participates in developing other staff
-Maintains and develops competencies
-Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
-Assists in interdepartmental service coordination
-Participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization.
-Assumes a role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
-Assists in all aspects of care if the environment, such as dietary, housekeeping, infection control
and supply and equipment management.
-Attends 80% of in-services and departmental meetings.
-Help provide staff to other areas of DHR when needed.
-Assures that patient equipment and supplies are available and are in operating condition.
-Maintain knowledge of and conforms to DHR policy/procedures
Education: High School graduate or G.E.D. certificate required. Completion of CNA program.
Licensure/Certification: Current BLS/CPR certification required.
Experience: 1 year continuous experience.
Essential Technical/Motor skills: Able to adjust and/or troubleshoot monitoring equipment, and computer equipment.
Must be able to interact and communicate with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and families in an effective manner. Exhibits tact, enthusiasm, and patience. Must be sensitive to cultural and bilingual issues.