Director Core Products & Commercialization
Type of Position: Full-Time
Statement of Purpose
This position is responsible for Strategic and Technical leadership for BER Product Development; specifically commercialization within the restaurant readiness process and product services accountabilities; building capability within the PD work group; and delivering results of core product improvements, both back-of-house (BOH) simplification and quality, and off-premise product development.
1. Carries supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
2. Directs Product services function, which primarily includes: (a) overall project management for all product related tests conducted with test restaurants, (b) recipe book input and maintenance, (c) additional technical training material like story boards, (d) training guides to field for all testing, and (e) operations test surveys.
3. Key transfer and linkage to HR Training function.
4. POS Test store communication and collection of operator feedback prior to national program launches.
5. In direct consultation and collaboration with the Sr. Director of New Product Development; develop, test and commercialize core product improvements satisfying either Quality or BOH simplification objectives.
6. Oversees all off-premise product development; primary emphasis on Catering and Bakery sales layers.
7. Packaging selection, application, and testing to support off premise initiatives.
8. Utilize Restaurant Readiness Process, specifically improving our product commercialization success.
9. Build consumer and sensory testing expertise within the department; setup and refine internal processes for product testing.
10. Articulates and directs procedures and methods to ensure quality standards and customer satisfactions are met and maintained.
11. Performs other job-related duties as may be assigned or required.
• Ability to collaborate with key business functions; namely Marketing, Operations, Food Safety/Quality Assurance, Purchasing, Engineering, and Training.
• Thorough knowledge of food industry, ingredient and purchasing suppliers
• Broad understanding of restaurant operations, especially developing products to fit end user requirements.
• Knowledge of regulatory programs.
• Ability to identify and resolve issues as they arise
• Detail oriented with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
• Ability to prioritize, maintains confidentiality, and interacts with all levels of management across the organization.
• Excellent organizational and documentation skills.
• Strong verbal, and written communication skills
• B.S. Food Science or Food/Chemical Engineering. Advanced degree is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and commercialize new products to marketplace.
• Demonstrated use of Sensory and Research Guidance testing within a Product Development group.
• Minimum 10 years experience in the food industry; preference to restaurant experience.
• Some management experience required.
• This position requires approximately 20% day and 10-20% overnight travel.